To send money to a bank account in Canada, you must specify:
- the recipient's account number (7-12 digits);
- the institution number(3 digits);
- the branch number (5 digits).
The recipient can find them in their cheque book or online bank.
For example, the numbers in the cheque book may look like this:
55555 : 333 : 7777777, where
- 55555 - branch number
- 333 - account number
- 7777777 is an account number (up to 12 digits)
Institution and department numbers can also be found in the routing number:
an example of a routing number: 033355555, where
- 333 is the number of the institution
- 55555 is the branch number